Royal Ascot is a world-renowned horse racing event that takes place annually in Ascot, Berkshire, England. It is considered one of the highlights of the British social and sporting calendar. Here’s some information about Royal Ascot:
1. History and Tradition: Royal Ascot has a rich history dating back to 1711 when it was founded by Queen Anne. Since then, it has become an integral part of British culture and has been attended by members of the royal family for centuries.
2. Horse Racing: Royal Ascot is a prestigious five-day horse racing meeting, attracting some of the finest racehorses, jockeys, and trainers from around the world. It features a series of high-profile races, including the famous Gold Cup, which is one of the most prestigious events in the racing calendar.
3. Dress Code and Fashion: Royal Ascot is known for its strict dress code, especially in the Royal Enclosure, where men are required to wear morning suits and top hats, and women are expected to wear formal dresses and elaborate hats. Fashion and style play a significant role during the event, with attendees showcasing their sartorial elegance and creativity.
4. Royal Attendance: The event derives its name from the presence of the British royal family, who traditionally attend the races. Queen Elizabeth II is an avid racing enthusiast and has attended Royal Ascot throughout her reign. The royal procession, where the Queen and other members of the royal family arrive in horse-drawn carriages, is a highlight of the event.
5. Social and Cultural Experience: Royal Ascot is not only about horse racing; it offers a vibrant social atmosphere with a mix of high society, celebrities, and racegoers from all walks of life. The event features various hospitality options, including fine dining, champagne bars, and live entertainment, making it a memorable experience beyond the races themselves.
6. Fascinating Traditions: Royal Ascot is steeped in unique traditions, such as the singing of the national anthem before the first race, the traditional “tipping of the hat” by jockeys as they pass the royal enclosure, and the awarding of trophies by members of the royal family.
Overall, Royal Ascot is an iconic horse racing event that combines sporting excellence, high fashion, and British heritage. It offers a captivating blend of racing action, socializing, and royal presence, making it a must-visit for horse racing enthusiasts and those seeking a quintessentially British experience.
Royal Ascot is taking place Tuesday 20th – Saturday 24th June 2023